CH 13: PERFECTLY DOMESTIC

9 times out of 10, I hated the sun waking me up in the mornings

9 times out of 10, I hated the sun waking me up in the mornings. I tried to keep my bed away from the windows as much as I could, trying to get as many hours of sleep in as possible. But when I woke up with the sun shining right in my eye, I knew something was wrong. Something was so terribly wrong, that I almost wanted to sink back into unconsciousness. No luck. Awareness woke up in me, reminding me that I was sleeping on a very uncomfortable couch, the thin blanket doing nothing to shield me from the cold sensation on my legs.

In fact, it wasn't doing anything to save me from the warmth of a person next to me either. If this was a 90's cartoon, my eyes would have opened and popped out three times at the realization that someone was sleeping next to me and there was only one person that could be.

Jesus, fuck.

How on earth had I managed to sleep with my boss? While it wasn't technically sleeping in that sense, in a much more literal sense, how had I managed to fall asleep with him next to me? Jesus. My shoulders were touching his body, and I didn't have the courage to turn around and see what parts of his body I was attached to. When had he fallen asleep?

The fairy lights were still on, practically useless against the glow of the sun from my windows, TV still on the "What to watch next?" screen. I didn't want to know my electricity bill for next month already. Even if I had money, I didn't like wasting it on stupid things.

I assessed my surroundings before squeezing my eyes shut, hoping my stupidity would make this bad dream go away. It had to be a bad dream. I had been stupid enough to derail myself by being friendly in the office that day and this was karma biting me in the ass. Serves you right for being so concerned about your fucking boss and future investor. At this moment, Aiden's proposal to not being involved in the business at all sounded like a fantastic idea. Sure, I would miss his smart brain and his forward-looking vision, but I'd rather take the L here than over there.

The jumbled thoughts made me shut my eyes again, sensing movement behind me. Was he awake? Shit. Aiden shuffled behind me in his sleep, his hand reaching forward to wrap around my abdomen. Jesus, when did my life become a cheesy romance movie? No, no, no. This couldn't be happening. I stayed still, keeping my eyes closed and trying to regulate my breathing. I didn't know how to react to this, and I wished Aiden would wake up before me and know the appropriate response.

If there was an appropriate response anyway.

Had I woken up just minutes before, I could have had time to process my emotions and slip off the couch. Now I was trapped in, anticipating the moment Mr Muscle Wall woke up and decided to move off me. I tucked my hand under my head, trying not to touch his arm across my midriff and accidentally signalling that I was awake. As if things weren't complicated enough, the doorbell rang, making me freeze up. I had to wake up now. I felt Aiden move beside me too and decided that avoidance was the best course of action. Rolling over, I fell on my butt on the floor, quickly getting up and rushing towards the door with lightning speed. Patting my hair down to avoid scaring anyone, I opened the door.