Chapter 4

It was still bizarre to feel the broken chains dangling from your wrists and neck as you walked about the upper floor of the castle. Even just feeling the iron still clamped tightly about your skin as well made you anxious. The heat here was a bit unbearable for you. It wasn't something you couldn't handle, but to have something made of metal on top of it was like being branded all over again.

When is he going to release me from this? you mentally thought, touching the iron that was clamped tightly onto your left wrist. Just feeling how hot it was made you instantly pull away with a flinch. Demiurge called out to you, making you turn from where you were gazing out over the front balcony.

The demon approached with his arms behind his back, metal tail flicking from side to side. "Did you wish to join me as I head out into the market before sundown?"

The market square was easy to see from the balcony. All the devilish women were working hard to provide for themselves and, you could only assume, whatever husband and children they had. Would they accept you? Even as it were, you felt like a fish out of water—very out of your element.

"I... umm... I don't know..."

Demiurge could hear the uncertainty far more in your tone than the words themselves. His wicked grin stretched unpleasantly about his features. "Are you frightened? You shouldn't be, my love." His fingers uncoiled from his grasp, touching just under your chin to urge you to look into his direction." As I said, I branded you for a reason. The women under my control will know to keep to themselves."

Those words made you anxious. What was further unnerving was how he mentioned some of them were cannibals and some that would even willingly eat human flesh. You didn't want to imagine walking around in a market like what was below without the king of demons on your side.

His grip curled a bit tighter as he leaned over to kiss you upon your forehead. The simple act lingered for a moment before he pulled away, his thumb caressing your cheek to try and soothe any upset that could be running through your body.

"Come along," he insisted, turning a way to head for the nearby stairs. "I need to fetch what clothing I can to properly clothe you. We don't need you walking around in rags now, do we?"

Hurrying behind him, you brought your hands to your chest as you debated on asking about the shackles. He said he would release you if you agreed to be his. With all the steps he had taken already, any person could say you were betrothed by this point after accepting his bargain.

"Demiurge?"

"Mm?"

"I hope this isn't coming off as insulting, but I was wondering if or...when you were going to remove the shackles on me?"

He halted in his steps about the bottom landing, turning in your direction with a hard to decipher smirk. At times you wondered if his grin was permanently affixed to his features as he rarely could be seen outside of it unless he was disappointed. Even still, you had to remind yourself he was an archdevil breed of demon, and that grin was something they were normally seen with.

It made him look and feel so unnerving at times. The grin felt as though it hinted he was always plotting.

"I will remove them soon, my dear," Demiurge promised as you slowly met him upon the stair's landing. "As it is, I must confess... I wanted to see if you'd back out of our deal."

Hearing him say such a thing, you hitched in breath while shaking your head. "N-No—I would never!"

He placed his index finger near your lips to silence your words, bending down to your level with a smirk that stretched a bit wider (if that were even possible). "As much as I adore you, my love, I must confess that I do not trust humans at times. From what I have found about my journey all through the land, they will accept a deal till it no longer benefits them."