chapter nineteen ; it's a date!

AMOS

The following day, I was awoken at half past one in the morning by my phone ringing. Startled, I sat upright on my bed, my heart pounding at the sudden noise. 

"Jesus, who the hell is calling you at this time?" Alex groaned from beside me, rolling onto his stomach and placing his pillow on top of his head so as to block out the noise.

"I have no idea," I sighed before lazily dragging myself off the bed and over to the desk where my phone lay. Turning it over, I read the name on the screen.

"What the fuck," I mumbled under my breath before answering and pressing the phone against my ear.

"Who is it?" Alex asked from behind me. 

"Why are you calling me at this time?" I questioned, irritated. "Scratch that, why are you even calling me in the first place?"

"What? Am I not allowed to call my doctor?" Micah teased from the other end. "I just wanted to ask you something."

"This couldn't wait?" I sighed, rubbing my forehead and pacing around the room whilst Alex sat onto the bed, eyeing me curiously. "What is it?"

"Firstly, I wanted to thank you for treating Miles," he started. "He's never really had a stranger be that gentle with him before so he's a little.. overjoyed at the moment."

"He was a pleasure to be around actually," I admitted. "Unlike.. someone here."

"Ouch," he laughed before proceeding. "Anyway, do you want to hang out with me later today?"

"No," I responded bluntly. "If that's all, I'll be hanging up n-"

"Why not?" he interrupted. 

"I just don't want to," I huffed. "I have a long day of work today.. and you woke me up at this time just to ask me if I want to hang out with you?"

"Well, you'd be at work if I called later," he responded. "And come on, give it a go. I'm not going to do anything weird."

"I just want to get some rest after my shift, I hope you understand," I said before hanging up, not bothering to give him a chance to respond.

That's what he gets for waking me up at one in the morning. 

"Let me guess, that was Micah?" 

"This is all your fault for giving him my number. Shut up and sleep."

-

That day, after work, I was so incredibly worn out, I could barely put it into words. Firstly because I'd been awoken at the worst time by Satan's first child. Secondly because that day at work was awfully hectic and I had a lot to do since a lot of people seemed to be sick that day. Thirdly because I hadn't had anything to eat in hours and my stomach was about to off itself. 

To make matters worse, when I was done and was outside waiting for Alex to show up, he didn't. I waited for an hour before calling him and asking him where he was. Apparently, him and Autumn were going through something and for that reason, he was at the bar drinking. I didn't push and simply accepted the fact that I'd have to take a taxi home. 

Just as I was about to get into the taxi I'd stopped, I heard a voice from behind me:

"Excuse me, sir. It's okay, I'll be taking him home."

I turned around with furrowed brows, "What on Earth are you doing at my workplace?"

"Am I not allowed to be at a hospital?" Micah questioned, wiggling his brows at me playfully. "You wouldn't give me a clear-cut answer over the phone so I came to ask you in person."

"I did give you a clear-cut answer," I protested. "No."

I turned back around to get into the taxi but was oh-so-pleasantly surprised to find out that the driver had already left. 

Rolling my eyes, I faced Micah once again, "How am I supposed to get home now?"

"I told you I'll take you home," he began. "But are you busy tomorrow?"

"No, I have an off-day," I admitted half-mindedly before beginning to get into his car.

"Ah ah ah," he interrupted, stepping in between me and the passenger side door. "Not so fast, doctor."

"Oh come on," I groaned. "What now?"

"Will you go out with me tomorrow at least?" 

"No," I huffed, crossing my arms across my chest. "I'm busy tomorrow."

"You just told me you have an off-day," he said with a raised brow.

Fuck.

"Why do you want me to go with you so badly?" I challenged, placing my hands on my hips. 

"I just want to go somewhere with you," he shrugged nonchalantly. "Plus, there's a place I really think you'd like."

"You barely know me to know what I'd like," I mumbled under my breath, hoping he wouldn't question what I'd said - however, to my utmost luck (note the sarcasm), he had heard me.

"Then let's take this as an opportunity to get to know each other. What do you say, doc?" 

"Fine, I'll go with you," I said, surrendering at last. "Now will you let me get inside? It's so humid out here."

"Great!" he cheered, stepping aside to make way for me. "It's a date, then."