S I X T E E N

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

E N D   O F   T H E   R O A D

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Harley and Sarah had been sat on the roof for a little while watching the sun hang over the horizon. Rafe had gone to the kitchen to get breakfast for him and Harley when Sarah had barged in and announced Rafe would definitely be a while. So, she invited Harley to the roof so they could talk with a pretty view.

"As much as I dislike my brother and I don't see what you see, it sucks your friends won't respect what you want."

"Yeah." Harley hugged her legs tighter to her chest so that she could rest her head atop her knees. "JJ, especially, was pretty harsh."

Sarah's eyebrows rose as she pulled a face. "Weird. I would have thought John B would have more to say since you're like his sister now. But then JJ is... an explosive character, to put it nicely."

"He's really lovely... or was..."

"Maybe he likes you, that's why he reacted so negatively. Maybe his version of flirting is being mean."

Harley shook her head and grimaced. Sarah knew nothing about JJ or any of the Pogues to be honest. JJ was a massive flirt and always open about it. Being mean as a tactic was an insult to how smooth JJ could be. "I think you've plucked that idea out of thin air. JJ and I were friends."

"Doesn't matter anyway, because you're with my God awful brother. I'll be praying for you, H."

Harley matched Sarah's cheeky grin. "Thanks, S."

To Harley's left, Rafe's head popped through the window.

"Speak of the devil," Sarah nodded toward her brother. Harley's eyes followed and locked onto Rafe. He seemed happier today. Harley put it down to no arguments with his dad and the fact she had stayed the night wrapped up in his body heat and warm sheets.

"Come on, I've got us food." He held out his hand for her to take.

Harley looked back to Sarah with wary eyes. She still wasn't the happiest with Rafe but he was trying.

"Go on. You've got my number now anyway," Sarah encouraged her. She leant over and hugged the brunette goodbye.

"See you." Harley reached for Rafe's hand and let him help ease her back through the window. His hand rubbed up and down her back soothingly since he could tell it was a little chilly outside.

They made it back to his room where a tray of food sat in the middle of his bed. Two glasses of orange juice on his nightstand.

"I can't cook, so I had to wait for the maid."

Harley didn't give much more of a reaction, she was still dreading going back to the Routledge household. She had been responsible and told John where she would be in fear of worrying him unnecessarily. 

"Don't think about it for now," Rafe urged. He knew what plagued her mind because it had been the first thing passed her lips when they had woken up. It had only taken a moment for the events of the night before to hit her all over again and send her sniffling into his arms. He didn't like seeing her so sad, but he did like that she seeked him out for comfort even if she was still slightly upset with him. It made him believe that she'd stick with him no matter what and that made him feel more secure than in any other form of relationships he had, even his own father.