Chapter 13

1927

   "Jack, what do we do now?"
Jack raised his head and let out a heavy sigh, "I'm not going to let you go."
Mamma raised her chin, "you can't lock me in the attic. I'm going."
Her expression revealed the person she had once been, I realised. The regal, strong-willed princess of old money and heirdom.
"Then I'm going," he met her stern expression, although it could not match her level of superiority. Jack was a good actor, a thespian on stage, when it came to life-or-death. I knew he could easily slip into an act to rival mamma's deep-rooted grace, and yet he wouldn't stoop to do it now, to pretend he understood how such legal matters went down.
Mamma shook her head, "no, Jack, Cal will have you shot at soon as you walk in the gate. Jack, you can't- I need you to be here with Josie."
I went to object to not going, but I feared Cal more than I despised being excluded. I was happy to stay home as long as Jack did.
   Jack got to his feet from where he sat beside me. He went to mamma, keeling in front of her, and took her hands, "I'm not going to let you in there alone."
   Mamma nodded, as if something in his face had told her what she needed to know.
   "I'll ring ahead in the morning," she said, "we should think about bringing your handgun."
   Jack nodded, although I hadn't know he owned a handgun. I shook away my surprise, and listened to what they were saying.
   Mamma said that she would pack that night, and that Jack should arrange the money for the journey there. Mamma, at last, turned to me, "Josie, you're to stay here. I can't risk you, and I want you to stay out of sight, just in case. Do you understand? You do not so much as sit on the porch or in the view of a window."
   I nodded, not wounded in the slightest. I was almost relieved not to have to face Cal, or anyone else for that matter.

   We went to bed early that night, and I woke up in the early hours to Jack and mamma kissing me goodbye. I tried not to panic and their absence, but a heavy pit formed in my stomach.