Fight For Her by Liz Plum

Thanks to Wattpad, I've been able to read a free copy of Fight For Her prior to its release.

- This is a review based on the version published by Wattpad Books -

Title: Fight For Her
Author: Liz Plum (@Liz_Plum)
Genre: Contemporary teen fiction
Narrative: First-person, present tense
Content: 27 chapters, plus a small prologue and epilogue
Link: wattpad.com/story/143647068

Summary:
Scarlet Tucker is a teenage girl living in Texas, and at the beginning of the book, we learn she's lost her brother. Scarlet is dating the school's most popular boy but has her doubts about him since he bullies a guy named Elijah Black, who always appears to have cuts and bruises to his face. Scarlet befriends Elijah, discovering he's part of an underground fighting ring to earn enough money that he can pay off a debt accumulated by his deceased brother. Scarlet eventually breaks up with her boyfriend as she and Elijah become closer. What she doesn't expect is finding out Elijah and she has more in common than their shared feelings, and it's connected to their departed older brothers and the fighting ring.

Cover:
I like the cover. Who doesn't like looking at cute attractive people? And I think the yellow title fits it really well. I have nothing negative to say apart from that the image doesn't relate to the story.

Blurb:
The blurb does a great job of setting up the story while also building interest.

The good:
I can sum up the best thing about this book in one word: Elijah. He is by far the most enjoyable aspect of the story. The way he's described, his behavior and reactions being more sensible, is a welcome change from the other characters. I was genuinely happy whenever he entered a scene, knowing I was going to like his actions and honesty. It is because of his manner I liked the relationship between Scarlet and him. There were several sweet and witty moments between them that made me smile. Their shared kisses were very cute as well.

One element I especially liked in the book is Scarlet comparing getting out of her boyfriend's big shiny truck with Elijah's old beat-up truck: "...I get out of Jack's truck and land with a thud that sends a jolt up my legs...""I stepped down, mentally preparing for a slight jump like with Jack's truck, but instead my feet instantly rest on the ground." It's a clever way of showing Elijah being a better fit for her despite being a beat-up "truck."

Another thing I liked was the fighting ring. There are some really good descriptions detailing the environment and the people attending.

Toward the end of the story, I found myself trying to guess and theorize the plot. That, to me, is a sign of good storytelling. The book also includes a twist I didn't expect, so, kudos to Liz for that.

Lastly, I want to acknowledge how the last line in the book ties to the title. It was a great little detail.

Quotes I liked: