Chapter 39

"Okay, class

"Okay, class. I've decided what I want you to do for homework this week," Professor McConnell smiles and moves the slide he was sharing to the next one, and it shows our assignment for tonight.

"I want you all to write a poem of some sort. It can be rhymed, free verse, narrative, whatever you feel like. But, I want emotion. I want to know something about you that I didn't already know." He points to the board for more precise directions. "It's due Thursday, eleven-fifty-nine," he smiles, "Okay, you're dismissed. Have a good day!"

"Ugh, fuck. I can't do this," Carter grumbles as he looks over at me. "Could you write me something? It doesn't even have to be about me. I don't think he'll notice."

I give him a small smile. "Carter, you're on your own. I have no idea what I'm going to write about. What emotion am I feeling except sadnes--"

"Don't, Mia," he puts his hand up to stop me. "I don't want to hear about that dickhead-"

"You didn't want me to tell you that I miss Nate?" I ask him while I collect my agenda and notebooks for this class and take out my bag to put everything inside.

"Oh, I thought you were going to talk about the Coach-"

I sigh, and I pack up my bag, "Carter, when are you going to get over that? It was for," I take a deep breath, "the best."

"That's bullshit, Mia. We both know that. When are you going to realize that Nate would give up his basketball career for you," he whisper-yells to me as he gives me my little bag of pens.

I look up at him, narrowing my eyes as I snatch the bag and grumble, "Thank you, but that's the problem-"

"Why?" Carter interrupts me as I try to get one of the notebooks into my bag. It's not going in, and fuck, I want to get out of here.

"Because," I huff and sit on the ground for a second while I try to get this stupid notebook into my bag.

Carter's foot starts tapping rapidly, and I look up at him, confused. "What are you doing, shush. That's such a bad habit," I swat his legs as they bounce up and down.

He swats me back and crosses his arms over his chest, "No. Not until you tell me why."

"Carter," I whisper-yell at him, "Can we not do this here? Please?" I finally get the notebook into my bag and zip it up while I stand.

"Fine, we're going to get food then. And you're paying because you're annoying me." He passes me and makes his way down the aisle and down the stairs.

"I don't think it works like that, Carter!" I tuck my backpack over my shoulder and race to catch up with him.

The hall is now almost empty, so I don't feel embarrassed when I wave to Professor McConnell, "Have a great day, Professor!"

He smiles at me and waves back, "You too, Mia."

I walk out with Carter through the building and around the swarming people that are walking. We get outside, and Carter suddenly stops. "What is it, Car?"