~18~ birthday boy

*** Please be sure to VOTE! Thank you! ***

My arms are tired of stretching. I’ve got used to the pungent paint smell. Nearly finished with this ugly brown wall. It’s like faeces has been smeared all over it. Claude’s set me on paint duties. Currently, he’s watching a gameshow (specifically for old people) on TV. I can hear his frustrated screams a few doors down… 

God, it’s only a gameshow. He gets really upset if he doesn’t win a round.

Occasionally, annoying gameshow music filters into the hall. The atmosphere’s dead, so a little music is a welcome relief from the tedium of decorating. 

The cream paint looks so fresh and clean. This wall was crying out for a makeover! Pity Claude couldn’t lift his lazy arse to deal with it. Honestly, it takes that man ages to do anything…

This is close to child (not that I’m a kid or anything) labour.              

Stop complaining, b!tch. Just focus on getting the job done. Then you can have your freedom. Finally.

“Looking good, Van Hoff.”

I almost drop the paint roller. A smear of paint marks the front of my denim overalls. I crane my head around to look at him. Navarro’s leaning against the wall, watching me. I’m not wearing the most flattering garments but does he have to smile in that smug way? We all know you like me, mister. Don’t think I missed the way you were staring at my arse… 

Alright, it may have been for a few seconds but we all know you have the hots for me. I’m starting to sound full-of-my-self, aren’t I? Well, I don’t care.

I’m feeling kinda sexy…

“Me or the wall?” I bat my eyelashes and attempt to sound seductive.

He’s amused. “Take a guess.” 

“Me,” I grin hopefully.

Navarro shakes his head with a smile. “In my office. Now.” He heads towards his office and I groan loudly. 

“So, what have I done now? What’s the new punishment?” 

“Nothing,” He says over his shoulder. 

“Wow.”

***

His back is towards me. He's staring out of the window thoughtfully. I can see his hazy reflection in the glass. I hover expectantly by the door. 

The office seems different now. Less colder. More lived in. A neat row of birthday cards stand to attention on his desk like tin soldiers. 

He turned twenty-four yesterday. Even though he said he didn’t want much of a fuss made about that day, the girls organised a birthday bash for him. Some of the gifts he got were pretty pricy. Simpering Lucille gave him a bottle of fine brandy (her daddy can afford it). We all chipped in for the cheesecake. Claude took an extra helping for Margot (yeah right). I saw him stuffing his gob in his office when he thought we’d be distracted by the party. 

My gift to him was a stressball with his name printed on it in big letters. He just looked at me questioningly. 

“You can squeeze yourself whenever you feel angry — and think of me,” I winked.

The look on his face was priceless. “You’re always a handful, Van Hoff.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment, coach. Plenty of me to go around, if you catch my drift…”

A/N: Please VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE! Thanks! What do you think Armand will say to her? :D “Scored in Love” win prize - CBY book of the week for February 2015 (very appropriate! ;)) :) Dmitri