Chapter 20

When I enter the room, Mia's alone on the floor.

"Hey," I greet her. "Where's Zack?"

"Bathroom," she says, turning off her phone as I sit beside her. Pursing my lips, I nod slowly. She watches me, eyebrows folding slightly.

"What?" she asks, smiling.

"Huh?"

"I know you wanna say something."

I chew on my lip and contemplate for a minute before asking, "Are you dating Marcus?"

Immediately, she laughs a little and shakes her head. "Nothing exclusive. I'm not that stupid."

"I don't think it would make you stupid," I say quickly. "It's just... He has a lot of girls and I don't want you to get hurt."

Mia smiles a little but it's bordering sad and I can tell she genuinely likes him.

"He's a typical jock," she says. "We're just having fun, nothing serious."

"Okay," I say. "I promise I'll stay out of your business now."

She grins. "I appreciate you caring, Amelia, but don't worry. I'm aware we can't all have Zack Darringtons."

I let out a breathless laugh. "I didn't mean it like that."

"I know," she says genuinely. "But I know what I'm dealing with. I don't want a relationship either."

"Well, I support whatever you wanna do."

"Thanks." Mia stands up, spine straight and ponytail high. "I'm gonna head out. See you tomorrow?" she says.

"See you tomorrow."

As she's about to open it, the door swings open but she doesn't flinch. Zack lets her walk out before coming inside.

"What took you so long?" he asks, laying on his bed.

"I was just grabbing some air," I say, climbing on with him. "I talked to Marcus outside. It seems like you guys are close."

"We used to be when we were kids," he says. "We stopped talking until we moved back with my dad. Marcus is... He used to get caught stealing and stuff but I think he's grown out of it now. Settled for smoking and fucking."

"What an improvement," I remark.

"He's a good guy, though," Zack says. "It's really important to me that our family's getting along. I'm glad he's around."

"Me, too," I say, smiling. "But promise me you won't act like him."

He smirks. "You remember what I was like in high school, right?"

"Of course," I say. "But that was before you met me."

"I know," he whispers. "What did you do to me?"

I rest my hand on his cheek. "Nothing more than what you've done to me," I tell him, moving in closer. "Is it okay if I sleep here tonight?"

"Seems like you made up your mind already," he says as my eyes start to close.

He doesn't move me as I start to drift off. I pretend that I can freeze this moment and fall asleep.

A/N: kinda meh chapter but if u wanna vote that's cool *sweats profusely*