Chapter 17

"How are you Rodriguez ?," Paula asked him with a forced smile etched on her face.

She despised the man with everything inside her. She even hated the stupid smirk on his face, as he stood before her, literally undressing her with his stupid pervert grey eyes. Paula itched to claw out his bloody eyes, so that he would never look at any woman like an object again.

But she didn't want to create a scene and draw unnecessary attention. The second reason being that Rodriguez knew her top secret. She was glad that he hadn't used it to blackmail her into anything.

His smirk then turned into a full blown sarcastic look.

"How does it feel playing full time little mistress to Rafael? ," he asked.

Paula gritted her teeth, biting back her sharp retorts that would turn their conversation into a full blown fight.

"l thought that even in poverty, you were more dignified than that. I am a little disappointed, Paula. I gave you a better offer of being the noble wife of Juan Rodriguez but you blew that away, choosing to play harlot to that bastard, Ramirez. "

"I am no one's mistress, Rodriguez! So keep your nasty words to yourself," she told him through gritted teeth.

He barked out a small laugh.

"Ah! I had forgotten for a moment what a nasty little witch you are. Feisty as ever! "

"My offer still stands , Paula. "

Juan Rodriguez was about to leave when Rafael arrived with a glass of sparkling white wine in his hand and a deep scowl on his face. Paula drew in a deep breath.

Not again!

She was caught up in yet another fight between them. They stood mere inches from each other glaring. Then a smirk crept on Rodriguez's face.

"Mr Ramirez, how pleasant to see you here," he said in a sarcastic voice sticking out his hand for Rafael.

Rafael simply glared at his extended hand and ignored it. Instead he thrust his hands in his trouser pockets.

"I can't say the same, Mr Rodriguez."

"Of course. Considering our history, l won't be surprised," he chuckled looking back at Paula for emphasis.

Rafael clenched his jaw when he got what he was saying.

"About the takeover of Edwardo Vicente's company , l will make sure it pushes through," Juan Rodriguez continued in a now serious tone.

"Then l did like to see you try," Rafael answered in a challenging voice.

Rodriguez walked away but not before throwing Paula a knowing smile. It seemed to say,

Does he know ?

She felt herself shiver. Rafael handed her a glass of wine before taking a seat opposite her.  She took a slow sip and she felt her tension easing away a bit.

Then she felt like a prick at the back of her neck. Like someone was watching her from a distance. She turned her head and met flashing blue eyes glaring at her. Her observer threw her one acid look before disappearing into the crowd.

"Mia! ," Paula gasped.

Rafael turned and followed her gaze. Paula tried to get up from her seat but his hand closed over her arm, stopping her. She turned to face him with a frown but he shook his head.

"She wouldn't appreciate you going after her considering you were flirting with her husband seconds ago," he said sarcastically.

She stared back at him with a baffled expression on her face.