CH. THREE _ [Maya]

I got off my last bus for the day, the sun already going down in the distance.

Walking down my street, I couldn't help but smile at the liveliness of it. Despite the dangers that lurked in the shadows, my neighborhood still managed to thrive.

It didn't thrive in terms of luxury, not really. But it never ran short of joviality or togetherness. Just good, hardworking people trying to live their lives, seemingly content and happy. Most of them at least.

Speaking of hard-working people.

I walked around the corner and up to Greta's Pot o' Happiness. It was packed as usual, locals and outsiders alike. The joint had the best pitas, filled with mouth watering chili.

A young couple, barely out of their teens nearly collided into me at the entrance. Their little pigtailed girl was the center of their attention as they stepped out with giggles and bags of food.

They offered their apologies and continued down the walkway. A pang of desire and sorrow hit me as I watched them, incapable of looking away.

"Are you gonna go in?"

Blinking unwanted tears away, I looked up into soft brown eyes. "Willie?"

"You're a long way from Cherry Creek." His grin encompassed his entire face, emphasizing how young he was.

"Yeah. Uhm, I live a few blocks from here. What are you doing here?"

"I just moved into the building across the street. And I thought I could see what all the fuss is about this place."

"Ah I see," I said, holding my bag closer to me.

He must have read my body language because he took a step back. "I promise you, I wouldn't risk my chances with you by stalking you. My uncle owns the barber shop across the street. I'm sure you know Donnie."

"He's your uncle?" Donnie was such a nice man. He let me use his refractor telescope whenever I wanted.

"He is. These curls didn't come from my parents," he said, gesturing to his short bouncy chocolate hair.

Upon closer inspection, Willie did resemble Donnie, quite a lot actually. And instantly my anxiety replaced the alarm. Not everyone is out to get you, Maya.

I crawled back into my shell and looked away. "I'm sorry."

His grin never left his face. "No need to apologize. You can never be too careful these days. Shall we?"

He ushered me to the door and I let him, guilt tearing me apart. When he swung it open, a warm aroma of tangy savoury chili and freshly made sourdough filled my nostrils. Nothing like a good meal to end the day.

My eyes scanned the place and found their target. Which was the fiercest red hair falling down a tall plump body, moving around the tables like flowing water.

I turned to Willie. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

His brows furrowed down. "You're not getting anything?"

"Just came to see a friend. She owns the place."

He hesitated for a moment. "Oh. Okay then."

His mouth worked to say something but I turned away before he could utter a word. I really wasn't looking to get in trouble today. Vincent didn't entertain the idea of me having any male friends.

When I directed my attention back to that red hair, I lost sight of it. That girl could appear and vanish like a wizard at times.

"You didn't tell me you were getting a divorce."