CHAPTER XXII

Sam's room was very clean, with very few personal things. The rectangular room was large for a single bedroom, but it was understandable as the future alpha. The walls were a pale blue and the floors were of dark wood. Only one wide window, wide enough to be a wall, was placed opposite to the entry door and another door was on one corner that must be the bathroom. Looking closely, the window had sliding doors that open to a balcony with a beautiful view of the forest and mountains.  

On the left side of the room was a queen-sized bed in dark gray and maroon sheets. Beside it was a small bedside table with a book and a lamp. On one corner was a dresser and a mirror that would probably fit in two of Sam's whole body. Nearly across the bed was a wide gray couch that would fit Sam and a coffee table filled with old books. 

"Do you want to change your clothes or take a shower?" Sam offered, crossing the room to get to his dresser. Thinking about it, it felt inappropriate to accept the offer.

"Would it be alright if I go to your bed without doing any of those?" I asked, thinking that I had no clothing here to change in and that I would not really stay here for long. Sam looked at me as he grabbed a change of clothes for himself. Wearing a suit for bed would probably not be a comfortable feat, even more if he is going to sleep on his couch. 

"I don't mind." He smiled softly. "I would just be taking a shower, alright?" He gently sat me down on the side of his bed. "Lay down and get some rest." 

I merely nodded as he went into his bathroom. I was not that tired, so I could not lay down just yet. Looking around, an awkward feeling rushed into me. The quietness and bareness of the room did not help me feel comfortable. Breathing out, I begin to look around while hoping for Adonis' safety. I hope to get news of him as soon as possible. 

My eyes landed on the old book on the bedside table. It looked like the cover was deteriorating but the pages were in good condition. The book had old fashioned designs that I had never seen before. The title were of symbols I have never seen before but felt strangely familiar. Picking one book up, I opened the first page out of curiosity. The book was already translated in English, no wonder the pages were in a better condition. 

Demons and Their Backgrounds

My eyebrows furrowed lightly. Opening the pages more, I come across a small green bookmark. 

Lilith. The first woman made by the angels. The first wife of Adam. Kicked out of Eden after fighting Adam for her own selfishness. Made a deal with Lucifer that made her his wife. Rules in hell with her torturing the damned souls. Powerful. Cunning. Mischievous. Seductive. Mother of all demons.

I slammed the book shut, wanting to rid my mind of the image beside the writings. It was a hideous demon with sharp bat-like wings, white cat eyes, long and sharp bloody claws, a long tail that looked armored, a head with four large horns, and pale gray skin.  

Was that me? 

Crossing quietly across the room, I picked up a book on the coffee table. All of them had bookmarks on pages with information on Lilith. All of them pretty much said the same things, calling her a terrible demon who would kill newborn children and leave their mothers in despair. One account had even said that the war Adonis told me about was because of Lilith. Not much information was there about how she did it.

Or I did. 

Shaking my head, I scanned through different images of Lilith in different books. Some showed the color of the demon's skin and eyes completely different. Some had shown human forms of Lilith, that I had thought looked like me but more sinister. A book with a large bookmark showed a version that looked like a terrifying mix of demon and human form. 

A woman with pale skin, white cat eyes, flowing black hair, beautiful face, sharp features, pointed ears, two curling horns protruding out of her forehead and another pair from behind her ears, black sharp wings, long bloody hands, and a dark dress that hugged her perfect body and flowed on the floor like blood. She looked stunningly frightening, like she was pulling me in with her eyes.

Hearing the door click, I look up to see Sam. Closing the book, I waited for him to walk over to me. I could not help but notice how terrifyingly handsome he was with his hair wet and his face fresh, making his green eyes seem brighter. By the time he sat beside me on the couch, I could smell him even stronger now and I was afraid to be addicted to it. I cleared my throat, seeing his frown at the book I was holding.

"These past few days, you've been researching about... me." I said slowly, hesitating to acknowledge myself being Lilith. It all felt so new to me that I don't know how to react to it when I first knew about it. Sam did not bother to deny it. "Can I ask you something?"

Sam nodded, looking like he was having a conflict with himself.

"What did you think of when reading all of these?" Gesturing to the books on his table. He placed his towel on his lap, looking at my hands wrapped tightly on the book. I was nervous for his answer.

"I don't know." Sam said slowly but I could tell he was lying. A slight anger rose in my chest.

"Do not lie to me." I said as softly as I could, but his face looked like I was threatening to him. I shook my head, wanting to get rid of this feeling. 

"You think I'm horrible, don't you?" I asked, staring at the wall and focusing my negative emotions on it. I did not want to say anything that I could regret. "I thought so too," I whispered, feeling angry at myself for being someone so hated and so evil. "Because, why else would you ignore me before I came here?" I felt like my eyes were blocked by tears threatening to fall, but it was my eyes curling up into an angry stare. 

"I'm sorry." Sam said, making me feel more horrible. Hearing all what Adonis had said with me, I realized I had thought that Sam would be able to understand what I was feeling. 

"I realized I had hoped for you to understand that I cannot remember any of it," I started, pertaining to the horrible acts that Lilith had done in the books. "So why should I still be hated for it?" My voice was filled with so much frustration that I had never felt. It felt like all the stress that change brought me was coming out all at once. 

"I... don't hate you, Alina." Sam sincerely said, making me believe it. His hand reached out to mine, softly wrapping my closed fist in calming warmth. "I was confused, I just... could not accept it." He paused, making me look into his earnest eyes. Me, too. "That night, I saw your eyes change. Just like that, for a moment." Pointing to the book in my hand. 

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"When you thought you saw your father near the forest, your eyes turned into white cat eyes. I could not believe my eyes," He looked like he was searching into my eyes for it. "And when we heard Adonis' story, as much as I wanted to not believe it, I already saw proof. I wanted to deny it to myself and I wanted you to deny it, but you didn't."

"I could not." I whispered. "I don't even know my father anymore and everything about Adonis made me trust him." 

Sam nodded, understanding what I meant. "But when I saw you suddenly appear in the room that I was in, I felt like I heard nothing about your past." He sent me a melancholic smile. "I knew that no matter who you were, you were someone that was meant for me as I am for you." 

I said nothing as my heart tightened and my breath hitched. 

"I want to make it up for you."