13. Our Wedding. Khalid's POV I

I smoothed out the last button and adjusted the collar of my cream-colored Kurta, feeling somewhat out of place. Adil and Zubayr had convinced me to wear a Kurta for the Walima, insisting that Zahra wanted to see me in traditional attire. If it were up to me, I would have opted for a stylish suit, complete with a waistcoat. However, if it would bring Zahra happiness, then I was willing to endure a few hours in less-than-preferred clothing.

A gentle knock interrupted my thoughts, and Adil's mother, Zunaira maami, entered the room, her smile warm and comforting.

"You look very handsome, my son," she remarked kindly.

I chuckled in response. "Thank you for taking care of everything on my side for the wedding, Zunaira Maami," I expressed my gratitude.

"Nonsense," she said with a warm smile. "You are my son, and it's my duty to ensure that everything goes well for your Walima today."

After my father's passing when I was just 11 years old, my best friend, Majid, took me in. Though my father ensured financial security for me, I lacked family. Zunaira Maami and her husband, Kaleel Maama, embraced me as their own, filling the void left by my absent parents. When Majid tragically passed away in a car accident at the age of 15, I found solace in being their surrogate son, just as they found comfort in having me as part of their family.

In a few moments, we would be leaving as a family for the Walima venue, which was set to take place at the Hilton Hotel.

Just then, Adil entered. His phone was in his hand, and with a request for privacy from his mother who left the room graciously, he passed it to me.

"It's him," he said gravely.

I nodded, taking the phone and stepping out onto the penthouse balcony.

Twilight enveloped the cityscape, painting the sky in hues of beautiful colors. The salty ocean breeze brushed against my skin, carrying with it the scent of the sea. From this vantage point, I could see the tiny cars below and the gradual illumination of shop lights as the city began to awaken. The city sparkled with the lights from cars and buildings, a sight I would miss dearly.

Tonight, after the Walima, I would be taking Zahra to my childhood home, a mansion in Alfred Gardens. After my father passed away, and I moved into Adil's house, my childhood home was closed down.

While in Qatar, I purchased a sky mansion at the prestigious Sapphire Residences, where I stayed during visits to Sri Lanka. However, upon getting engaged, I wanted Zahra to have her own private home. Renovations had already begun on my childhood home as soon as we were engaged, and today, it stood ready to welcome us as newlyweds. I hoped she would like it.

With a deep breath, I put the phone to my ear.

"Hello, Rashid," I said evenly. "What can I do for you?"

"How are you, Khalid?" he asked in his greasy voice.

"Cut the crap, Rashid," I snapped. "We both know you couldn't care less how I am."

He faked laughter. "Ah, Khalid, always with the jokes," he said.

I gnashed my teeth. He got on my nerves like no one else.

"Well, let's get to the point then, shall we?" he said.

"I heard you are selling Her. Name your price?" he asked.

It was my turn to laugh bitterly. "You must think I am a fool if you thought I was going to sell Her."

"Well, I don't see why you would want to keep Her. You didn't have a problem parting with the others. There is a lot of money on the line for this one."