CHAPTER 9: The Star

Mateo POV

I just left my sister's room in a daze. She was settling in and she definitely looks better than last night. She was really pale and I was worried. I just thought she didn't like the attention she got from the Faraday family and that she was shy, but when she got sick I felt guilty because I should have realized she was sick. It made sense because I heard Dad saw her sleeping with wet hair next to the open window and she danced in the rain before that, but I just thought her immune system was strong because she didn't show the same symptoms as Wes and Ash.

I got a text from my brother in earlier the morning. 

Weston: Come up with us, we're going to watch TV in Rory's room.

I still wasn't sure if it was a good idea. What if she wasn't comfortable with me? I was older than her, she might not want me there. Or worse, she got to know me and didn't like me at all because we didn't have anything in common. I still hadn't made my decision about my future. It was important because I didn't want to risk my family and friends.

On one hand, I could go in my Dad's footsteps and take over the law firm once he wants to retire. I already work there and I like the job, but Dad didn't interfere in our family's business a lot. Only when things were above board. My uncle didn't want to risk him or our family by asking him to work on the other side of things, where the law wasn't written on paper.

My cousin Antonio was one year older than me, so we grew up together. We are basically brothers, and he also doesn't have any siblings because Aunt Camilla died when I was three. I don't ever want to find out what that feels like, but I want to be there for him. I can't do much, but I can be his right-hand man. He has no one and I want to help him, but if I do I will probably leave my Dad's firm, so it isn't associated with the family business if anything comes out or goes wrong. 

My Mom always told me she wasn't going to make me choose one or the other, she was all about doing what we thought was right for us. After all, she was a part of the business until she had me after college. She is pretty good at what she does, and even now sometimes she still helps Uncle Alessandro if he needs it, even if he doesn't ask her for it. Mom was a badass, she was trained in martial arts since she was little and was very good at disarming someone quickly and efficiently. She was also a very good shot. Most teens go on the range to shoot with their dad, but my Mom took me when I was 16 to teach me for the first time. 

Our family's legacy isn't all rainbows and roses and it got a lot more bloody when my aunt died, but I would never trade it for anything. I was afraid that my choices would put someone I love in danger though. That's the main reason I hadn't told Stella how I felt about her. She has been my best friend since I met her in first grade. Her family is close to ours and we often go on vacations together. She was my star, I loved her ever since I could understand what that meant, but I never told her. If my instincts were any indication she wouldn't reject me, but I would put her in danger if I decided to officially get involved in my cousin's business.

The same goes for Aurora. If anyone finds out the three women in my life were my weak links they could use that against us... use them. If we weren't that close the chances of them being sacrificed were smaller. I knew I had to keep my distance, but talking to her now I know I can't. She is so bubbly and innocent. She even made a joke about periods, which I wasn't expecting. I want to know my sister and I would make sure she is the safest around, no matter what I decide to do about my future.

We all had lunch together and it was a loud affair, but I saw how my sister softly smiled at us and outright laughed at Weston's impressions. I shared a look with my dad and mom, we were so happy she was opening up to us even though she didn't say much herself, she was participating in the conversation.