CHAPTER 2: The News

James POV

I just pulled into the driveway of our home. Another day ended with a headache thanks to the people I was hired to defend in court. Some would think coming home is just another headache waiting to happen, but I appreciate the time with my family. I married my wife when we were in college. I am so glad she decided to study abroad at Harvard because if she didn't, we might have never met. We have three sons that I am insanely proud of. Mateo is our oldest, he finished college last year and he started helping me with the family business. Asher is our second son, who is still figuring out what he wants to do, he finished high school last year and is currently taking a gap year. Our youngest boy is Weston and he will be a senior in school next semester. He is the life of the party and I suspect he will still be even after he graduates.

It was past eight and everyone should be home. I just got inside when my phone started ringing. I meant to silence it but forgot. It was family time and any work emergency could wait for tomorrow morning. It was an unknown number...that's strange. I decided to answer it and went to my home office for some privacy.

The voice on the other line didn't even wait for me to speak before they fired off. "Hello. I am Sydney Dallas with the CPS (Child Protective Services). I need to speak to James King." I was confused but I answered, "This is him." The lady continued relieved "Thank God, I thought I would get your voicemail this late. I am sorry for disturbing you at this time, but there is an urgent matter we need to discuss in person. I can't give you any information over the phone, except that it's related to your family." I was instantly concerned and ran to the second floor in search of Weston, he was the only one under 18, so this must be about him. "Can't you tell me anything right now?" I asked her, but she said "It's weird enough that it requires an in-person meeting Mr. King. If you could name a time and place of your convenience, I would appreciate it.

I got to Weston's room but he was just listening to loud music and he didn't even hear me come in. My wife had seen me I guess and gave me her signature "what's going on" look from the hallway. I motioned to her to go to our bedroom with me as I spoke "I can meet whenever and wherever you like Mrs. Dallas. If it's important I can even come to your office first thing in the morning." Isa motioned me to put the phone on speaker and I did. "If you can come Mr. King I would greatly appreciate it. The reason I want to meet tomorrow is because I am still waiting on some paperwork that I want to show you. I should have it tomorrow at noon. If you want come by my office then. I will text this number the address of my building." I was getting frustrated and my Isabella knew that, so she started massaging my shoulders. "See you then."

As soon as I hung up the phone Isa came and sat in my lap. "What is wrong, amore?" "CPS wants a meeting in person and it's not Weston I asked." She was going to ask me about our youngest but I beat her to it. Isa looked just as confused as I felt. "What could it be about then?" I honestly answered "Don't know. We will see tomorrow at 10 AM. Now, let's get some rest, love."

The next day we stayed home until later than usual and with Isa, we went to the meeting on time. I was confused about why we had to come and so was my wife, but she always supported me. We got to Mrs. Dallas's office, but we had to wait because she wasn't in yet. While we waited for her my wife mentioned "If things get boring in the future, we can always adopt the little girl we wanted."

I was shocked to hear this. We did want a girl in the family and we tried after Weston was born, but fate wasn't on our side. We lost the baby and for a while after that, we were separated. I threw myself into work to forget the heartache but I didn't see my wife's pain. She was depressed and wanted some time away to heal. I gave it to her, but I told her that we were going to get through this. It was the worst time of my life. I didn't know how she was or what she was doing. I started drinking more often and going out. Overall, it was a time I wasn't myself and I am damn glad she agreed to come back to me. She hadn't mentioned anything about another child ever since, but I knew she still wanted a girl.